When the update was released, the Harvest Festival Timed Challenges triggered automatically. The Halloween 2016 Timed Challenges will instead appear in the game some time after these first Timed Challenges end (the exact date will depend on the platform being used).
Although there is no mention of the Halloween 2016 Event in the release notes for the Harvest and Halloween Update, all the content needed to create the second set of timed challenges exist within the original install file for the update. This means that when players install this update, they are installing both sets of challenges and all content needed for them.
The Halloween 2016 "Celebration of the Spirits" Timed Challenges themselves are currently set to trigger on the 11th of October 2016 at 23:59:59 UTC for iOS devices.
Celebration of the Spirits Event Edit
The Halloween 2016 "Celebration of the Spirits" timed challenges are potentially the second of two sets of timed challenges introduced by the Harvest and Halloween Update. These timed challenges are set to trigger on a predetermined date a few weeks after the Harvest Festival timed challenges end on each platform.
The Celebration of the Spirits timed challenges is set to begin when a player reaches game level 7 in the game (or automatically after triggering if the player is already above level 7).
The Celebration of the Spirits timed event contains 3 challenges. Players have a set number of days to complete the following tasks:
- Collect 500 Feather by winning games of Blocks to win the Sphere of Miracles Desktop Award or upgrade an existing Sphere of Miracles
- Complete 30 holiday quests to win the once-off Halloween Talisman, which Decreases energy consumption from exploring locations and puzzles by 10% for 24 hours.
- Achieve 'Academician' level in Haunted Attraction to win 2 new unique avatars.
For the duration of the Celebration of the Spirits challenge, Pumpkin lantern special items are required in addition to energy points to play Haunted Attraction. Pumpkin lanterns are given as rewards for every successful investigation for every picture (except Haunted Attraction itself!), and as rewards for banishing anomalies, but not for playing puzzles. Pumpkin lanterns cannot be gifted between friends, however they can be given as rewards by the Sphere of Miracles and Pyramid of Wonder.
Important: The amount of time available for the Celebration of the Spirits timed challenges will vary across platforms. It is important to note that the Challenge timer begins counting down from the moment the challenges are set to trigger in the game, and not from the moment a player downloads the update. Delaying installing the update will not give you extra time to play the challenges.
The Sphere of Miracles Edit
The Sphere of Miracles Desktop Award Edit
The Sphere of Miracles desktop award sits in the centre of the top row of players home desktop. The Sphere gives out rewards on a 12 hour timer. The first 12 hour timer starts from the moment the Sphere is won, and after that the 12 hour timer resets every time the award is discharged.
When discharged, the Sphere of Miracles gives out a number of one of the game's special item (e.g. fireflies, ladybugs, carrots, cupid arrows, or Tokens) at random. During Holiday challenges the sphere may also reward special items needed to play the holiday picture, such as the Pumpkin lanterns needed to play the picture Haunted Attraction. This means that in normal play, there is a 1 in 5 chance of receiving any one of the regular special items every time you discharge the Sphere, but during Holiday challenges there is a 1 in 6 (or 1 in 7 during double timed challenge updates) chance of getting a specific special item when discharging the Sphere.
The Sphere of Miracles was originally offered as part of the 2013 Halloween Update. A second opportunity to win the Sphere of Miracles was offered as part of the 2014 Halloween Update and a third opportunity was offered as part of the 2015 Halloween Update.
Players who have already won the Sphere of Miracles during the 2013/2014/2015 events have the opportunity to increase its level to the next award level by completing this years challenge.
It does not matter which year you previously won the Sphere or what your current level for the Sphere is, as soon as you complete the 2016 challenge, your Sphere will be upgraded to the next level:
|Award Level||Icon||Requirements||Regular Reward every 12 hours||Rewards when Award charged by any visiting Friend|
|Level 1||Have completed any of the 4 Halloween Events (2013, 2014, 2015 or 2016)||5 items of 1 special item type (e.g. 5x fireflies or 5x ladybugs etc.)||10 items of 1 special item type (e.g. 10x fireflies or 10x ladybugs etc.) plus 100 coins|
|Level 2||Have completed any 2 of the 4 Halloween Events to date||7 items of 1 special item type||14 items of 1 special item type plus 100 coins|
|Level 3||Have completed any 3 of the 4 Halloween Events to date||9 items of 1 special item type||18 items of 1 special item type plus 100 coins|
|Level 4||Have completed all 4 of Halloween Events to date (2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016)||11 items of 1 special item type||22 items of 1 special item type plus 100 coins|
How to Win the Sphere of Miracles Edit
Players can win the Sphere of Miracles by collecting 500 Feathers. Feathers can only be won by successfully completing the Blocks puzzle. For each successful win of Blocks, you can potentially win between 2-5 Feathers as one of the rewards for completing the puzzle.
When you open the Research Window for Blocks by tapping on the Blocks puzzle icon on your Home Desktop you will see Feathers listed as the first item in the 'Can be found' list for the puzzle. Feathers are available to win for every play of the puzzle at every puzzle level.You must keep playing (and winning) Blocks until you have collected 500 Feathers in order to win the (or upgrade an existing) Sphere of Miracles. Once you win the Sphere of Miracles it will automatically appear in the central spot of your Desktop Awards along the top of the playing board (to the right of the Friendliness Desktop Award. If you have won a Sphere of Miracles in a previous Halloween Update, the award will change in appearance to represent its new award level at this point instead.
Once it appears on your Desktop, the Sphere of Miracles will be sparkling, indicating that it is fully charged and its rewards are ready to collect. Tapping on the award will release the rewards, at which point the Sphere of Miracles will start its 12 hour timer, after which more rewards will be ready.
Note: Just because an item is on a picture/puzzles 'Can be Found' list, it is not guaranteed you will win that item every time you play that picture/puzzle. There is an element of chance in the game that determines what items you will win when you successfully complete a picture/puzzle. All items are weighted based on their value in the game. Higher value items, like the Feathers needed to win the Sphere of Miracles desktop award, are weighted in such a way that they are less likely to be won than low value items such as some low level collection items and most combining elements.
Since the mechanism that rewards Feathers is set up so that they are always included as one of the rewards for winning games of Blocks, it is the number that you win per play that is weighted (with low numbers more likely than high numbers). This means you will not win a high number of Feathers every single time you win a Blocks Game, often you will only win 2.
However, all of the Timed Challenges are designed to be completable within the given time limit, so it is possible to collect 500 Feathers well within the time given. The task is designed to be challenging, but it is not impossible!
Hints/Tips for Collecting Feathers Edit
Although it will take many plays of Blocks to win 500 Feathers, there are things you can do to make the challenge easier:
- Read the Blocks article on this wiki for tips on playing Blocks, including full puzzle solutions for High Explorer - Grand Magister level puzzle variations in blocks without using tools. A PDF of these solutions is also available here.
- Use tools when playing Blocks. You can use Seeker's Eyes now called Explorer's Eyes (2016) and Time Machines when playing Blocks. Using a Explorer's Eye will remove one block from the game board at random. Even the most difficult Blocks puzzles can be solved quickly after just 1 or 2 blocks are removed. Time Machines add 45 seconds to the puzzle timer, which can be a great help for the more difficult board configurations. Use the List of Collections, List of Collection Items and List of Collection Item Locations pages here to find out which collections give out these tools when combined, and where you can find the items needed to combine those collections.
- Don't just play Blocks over and over again; try to play a variety of pictures and puzzles as much when possible. The more you play a single picture/puzzle repeatedly, the worse the rewards for each win gets. In order to keep your chances of getting many Feathers per play high, try mixing other pictures/puzzles into your playing rotation. Perhaps rotate trying to get the Sphere of Miracles with the other challenges in the Halloween 2016 event (playing Haunted Attraction and completing the 30 challenge quests). This will also help avoid feelings of frustration with the game and challenge.
- Don't rely on Luck Talismans/Artefacts. Luck talismans (e.g. Horseshoes) and artefacts (e.g. Symbol of Success) do not increase your odds of winning a particular item, such as Feathers, i.e. they do not change the weighting of items. However, they do increase the number of items you will win for each successful play of a picture/puzzle. Because you can win more items for each play, you essentially get more rolls of the dice each time you win. Since Feathers are rewarded using the same mechanism as Christmas balls/Pumpkin Lanterns/Tokens special items etc during holiday themed timed challenges (i.e a number of Feathers are awarded for each play, it is the amount you win that is weighted not whether or not you win them) instead of using the same mechanism as collection items/combining elements (i.e. you may or may not win the item each play, it is whether the item will be won or not that is weighted), Luck talismans and artefacts will not affect the number of Feathers won per win of Blocks. Since the game is coded to give out Feathers for each play, increasing the number of different items won per play, by using luck talismans, will not change anything. The number of Feathers given is also based on chance, with higher numbers weighted to appear less often than lower numbers, but Luck talismans/artefacts cannot help with this since they do not affect weighting.
- Use the Time Talisman artefact. If you are struggling to win Blocks in the time given, then try to use a Time Talisman artefact. Once activated, this artefact adds 1 minute to every picture/puzzle for 24 hours.
The Unique Avatars - Getting Haunted Attraction to Academician Level EditPlayers can win the Unique Avatar by playing the new picture, Haunted Attraction, until they increase its scene progress level up to Academician Level during the Halloween 2016 time sensitive challenge.
For the duration of the Harvest and Halloween Update, Pumpkin lantern special items were needed for each play of the Haunted Attraction picture.
While the Timed Challenges are active (before you complete all three, or the timer expires, whichever happens first), Pumpkin lanterns were given as rewards for every successful investigation for every picture in the game (except Haunted Attraction itself). At least 2 Pumpkin lanterns are given for every game you win, but winning up to 6 at a time is also possible.
Pumpkin lanterns are also given as rewards from banishing anomalies, but not for playing puzzles. Pumpkin lanterns cannot be gifted between friends, however they are given as rewards for combining some of the new Halloween 2016 collections. Players with the Pyramid of Wonder or Sphere of Miracles also have a 1 in 7 chance of receiving Pumpkin lanterns from these Desktop Awards when collecting their rewards every 12 hours. The number of Pumpkin lanterns needed for each play of Haunted Attraction increases as you increase the Picture Levels of Haunted Attraction (+5 Pumpkin lanterns per Level increase), starting at 5 Pumpkin lanterns per play when the picture is opened at Novice Level and increasing to 45 Pumpkin lanterns per play when the picture is at Grand Magister Level.
You will win an average of about 3.5 Pumpkin lanterns for every play of other Pictures during the challenge so will need to play roughly 940 other pictures to collect enough Pumpkin lanterns (or 750 other pictures to collect enough if using the Amulet of Santa/Amulet of Rarities when playing Haunted Attraction). This works out at 34 plays of other Pictures per day over the 28 days of the challenge. A simple way of looking at this challenge is to aim to play all non-special item pictures (33 total) 2 times each day, if possible, which will allow you to win the challenge with plenty of time to spare even if the drop rate of Pumpkin lanterns in your game falls below the 3.5 average.
|Level||% progress per play of picture at level||No. plays needed for 100% (i.e. to reach next level)||Pumpkin lanterns per play at level||Total Pumpkin lanterns to reach next level|
|Trainee||12-13% (+25% every 2 plays)||8||10||80|
|Detective||8-9% (+25% every 3 plays)||12||15||180|
|High Explorer (Formerly High Seeker)||1%||100||25||2,500|
|Total to Academician level||3,285|
As soon as you return to your Home Desktop after playing Haunted Attraction for the 150th time, a notification screen will appear to say that the avatar challenge is complete and you have won both of the unique Avatars.
Both avatars will automatically go into the Avatar section, but will not automatically replace your current Avatar. To use either of the new Avatars, you must tap on your current Avatar to bring up the Avatars window and scroll to the end of the list to find the new Avatar. Tap on the Avatar to select it.
Hints/Tips for Winning the Unique Avatars Edit
- Try to play a variety of pictures as much when possible when playing, instead of just playing Haunted Attraction over and over again. The more you play a single picture/puzzle repeatedly, the worse the rewards for each win gets. Additionally, the bigger variety of pictures you play, the bigger variety of collection items you can potentially win. This will greatly increase the number of regular collections you will be able to combine, which will potentially give you more tools, energy items, talismans and artefacts that will all help with completing the quest.
- If you are low on energy, but close to leveling up (at which point your energy will restore), play Buddha's Square until you level up. At higher picture levels Buddha's Square potentially rewards a cappuccino for each successful picture investigation. Cappuccinos restore 30 energy points when used, and Buddha's Square only requires 31 energy points at most to play (at professor level). This means you can play for free or next to free if you have a good success rate of winning Cappuccinos. Using Luck talismans and artefacts, like horseshoes, while playing Buddha's Square will increase your odds for winning Cappuccinos. This also means that Buddha's Square is a great picture to play when collecting Pumpkin lanterns, as by winning cappuccinos and restoring the energy you are using to play, you are basically collecting Pumpkin lanterns for free in terms of energy costs.
- If you are low on energy, avoid playing the newest pictures in the game too often (Tavern, Treasure Island, Theater, Forest House, Excavations, Winter Street, Flower Shop, Observation Deck, Banquet Hall, Spooky Yard, Wonder Shop, Mountain Resort, Rock Stage) as these pictures do not reward combining elements and usually have a high energy demand (except for Forest House and Winter Street). Although some of the collections rewarded by some of these pictures (especially Tavern) are tempting, the lack of combining elements means you will struggle to combine the collections they reward, and the majority of collection items they reward are for collections with lesser rewards than the original pictures in the game.
- Use the Amulet of Santa or the Amulet of Rarities artefact to decrease the number of Pumpkin lanterns needed to play Haunted Attraction. Both the Amulet of Santa artefact and the Amulet Rarities artefact reduce the number of Special Items needed to play paid scenes like Haunted Attraction by 20% per 24 hours once activated. Using either artefact when playing Haunted Attraction could potentially reduce the total number of Pumpkin lanterns you need to find to reach Academician level from 3,285 to 2,628.
- Use the Valentines Amulet artefact to decrease the amount of energy needed to play every picture/puzzle when you are ready to play Haunted Attraction a number of times. The Valentines amulet reduces the amount of energy needed to play by 10% for 12 hours, so will enable you to play Haunted Attraction (and other pictures) more times with your available energy.
- Use luck talismans and artefacts, such as horseshoes, in conjunction with the Valentine's Amulet, and make sure to play Tree of Dates in rotation when you are playing the pictures. This will increase your chances of finding all the collection items needed to combine another Valentine's Amulet as you play.
- As you play through the 30 challenge quests to win the Halloween Talisman, you will be able to combine 5 new collections added as part of the update. These quests will reward Pumpkin lanterns once combined, and the Halloween Talisman itself helps with energy consumption while playing.
The Challenge Quests, the Halloween Talisman and the updated Witch's Talisman ArtefactEdit
The Halloween Talisman can be won once a player completes all 30 of the special Halloween 2016 challenge quests introduced as part of update. The quests must be completed within the time limit of the Timed Challenge in order to unlock the Talisman.
A notification screen will appear to say that the 30 challenge quests are complete and you have won the Halloween Talisman, but you must go to the Talisman section of the Inventory itself to see and use the new Talisman.
Once activated, the Halloween Talisman will increase the rate of energy restoration by 5 times for 24 hours.
At this point, you can also combine the new version of the Witch's Talisman Artefact. Once the quests are completed, you will have gathered all 5 collections needed to combine and create the Witch's Talisman. At this point, you must go to the Artefacts tab of the Collections Window in order to combine the Witch's Talisman to complete this portion of the timed challenges. Combining Artefacts requires a set number of clock parts to use as combining elements as well as the 5 collections needed for the artefact.
You will need 20 each of the following combining elements to combine the Artefact - Second Hand; Minute Hand; Hour Hand; and Clock Face. All artefact combining elements can be won by combining collections in the game. Every time you combine a Collection you will be awarded an artefact combining element at random. You can also be given these combining elements as Free Gifts by your Friends. Like Collection combining elements, Artefact combining elements are Free Gifts, and do not come out of your inventory when you send them as gifts to your Friends.
Once combined, the Witch's Talisman automatically goes your inventory, and a notification screen will appear to say that the 30 challenge quests are complete and you have won the Witch's Talisman, but you must go to the Talisman section of the Inventory itself to see and use the new Artefact.
The Witch's Talisman can be activated from the Talisman tab of the inventory like any other talisman/artefact. To activate the Talisman, open the Inventory, the Talisman tab will automatically be open (default open tab). Scroll to the Witch's Talisman and tap on it to bring up its information box. Press the green 'use' button at the bottom of the information box to activate the Talisman or the brown 'cancel' button to return to the Inventory without activating the Talisman. Once activated, the Witch's Talisman will increase the rate of energy restoration by 3 times for 24 hours.
Winning the Halloween Talisman Edit
A special decorative border in the quest list marks the 30 quests needed to win the Halloween Talisman. Other quests added by the update, with regular gold borders, do not count towards the 30 when completed.
Note: the very first quest that displays the special decorative border is the quest to find the picture pieces needed to unlock and open the Haunted Attraction picture. However, this quest does not count towards the 30 quests needed to win the Halloween Talisman. This means there are actually 31 quests that display the decorative border, but only the last 30 of them count towards the challenge. But importantly, you will need to complete this first quest in order to complete the challenge as the 30 quests that make up the challenge will not start until this quest is completed (there is only ever one quest with a special decorative border active at any one time) and the other quests require you to play the Haunted Attraction picture (which this quest opens).
The special 30 quests that must be completed in order to win the Halloween Talisman consist of 5 collection sequences of 6 quests each. The first 5 quests of each sequence are to find each of the 5 items belonging to one new collection added by the update. The 6th quest is to combine the collection.
The 5 collections players gather as they complete the 30 quests are:
- Tricky treats (combines to create "Jack-o-lantern cookies" and rewards 10 Pumpkin lanterns when combined)
- Abandoned park (combines to create "Haunted mansion" and rewards 15 Pumpkin lanterns when combined)
- Mysteries of history (combines to create "Developed film" and rewards 20 Pumpkin lanterns when combined)
- Spirits' carousel (combines to create "Spirits' carousel" and rewards 25 Pumpkin lanterns when combined)
- Carnival costumes (combines to create "Carnival of evil spirits" and rewards 30 Pumpkin lanterns when combined)
All the items that make up these collections cannot be gifted between friends (they do not have green plus signs to add them to your wish list and they will not appear in the 'Send a collection item' tab when sending gifts to your friends.
They are all also 'Quest only' items, which means that they cannot be won normally by playing pictures/puzzles. They are only available to win in pictures while the quest for the particular item is activated and will stop being available to win in that picture once the quest is completed. They may also drop as random items when you are visiting your friends and charging their desktops; from the Collectors Desktop award when collecting its rewards; and from opening Pandora's Chests, however whether or not you get any of these items in those ways is completely up to chance.
This means that the only way to complete these quests is to follow the quest instructions as you get the quests. This makes these 30 challenge quests slightly more difficult than the challenge quests in some other Timed Challenges, all of which could be gifted between friends or won in regular play of certain pictures.
The Challenge Quests Edit
The 30 quests that are needed to win the Halloween Talisman are:
|Quest Number||Quest Name||Quest Instructions||Item Won||Collection Sequence|
|0||Scary Invitation||Investigate the photo in Text mode to find an object||Fragments of Haunted Attraction Picture||N/A|
|1||Appeasing the spirits||Investigate "Haunted Attraction" to find an object||Zombie candy||Tricky treats|
|2||Trick or treat||Investigate "Haunted Attraction" to find an object||Screaming strawberries||Tricky treats|
|3||Vampire donuts||Investigate "Haunted Attraction" in Silhouette mode to find an object||Vampire donuts||Tricky treats|
|4||"Tear Out an Eye" salad||Investigate "Haunted Attraction" to find an object||Tear Out an Eye salad||Tricky treats|
|5||Grave frappuccino||Investigate "Haunted Attraction" in Text mode to find an object||Grave frappuccino||Tricky treats|
|6||Jack's cookies||You must gather (combine) the collection to obtain the object||Jack-o-lantern cookies||Tricky treats|
|7||The legend of the park||Investigate "Haunted Attraction" to find an object||Horse||Abandoned park|
|8||Disappearing things||Investigate "Haunted Attraction" to find an object||Swingboat||Abandoned park|
|9||Vanished car||Investigate "Haunted Attraction" to find an object||Rusty car||Abandoned park|
|10||Train ride||Investigate "Haunted Attraction" in Night mode to find an object||Kids' train||Abandoned park|
|11||Awakened bumper car||Investigate "Haunted Attraction" to find an object||Bumper car||Abandoned park|
|12||Haunted house||You must gather (combine) the collection to obtain the object||Haunted mansion||Abandoned park|
|13||Old clipping||Investigate "Haunted Attraction" to find an object||Newspaper clipping||Mysteries of history|
|14||A sign of mischief?||Investigate "Haunted Attraction" in Silhouette mode to find an object||Sign||Mysteries of history|
|15||Festive opening||Investigate "Haunted Attraction" to find an object||Red ribbon||Mysteries of history|
|16||Fuss over the tickets||Investigate "Haunted Attraction" in Pairs mode to find an object||Attraction ticket||Mysteries of history|
|17||Frozen clock||Investigate "Haunted Attraction" to find an object||Frozen clock||Mysteries of history|
|18||The photo's riddle||You must gather (combine) the collection to obtain the object||Developed film||Mysteries of history|
|19||Halloween spirits||Investigate "Haunted Attraction" in Morphs mode to find an object||Mischievous spirit||Spirits' carousel|
|20||Curious spirit||Investigate "Haunted Attraction" to find an object||Curious spirit||Spirits' carousel|
|21||Angry spirit||Investigate "Haunted Attraction" in Night mode to find an object||Angry spirit||Spirits' carousel|
|22||Timid spirit||Investigate "Haunted Attraction" to find an object||Timid spirit||Spirits' carousel|
|23||Sad spirit||Investigate "Haunted Attraction" to find an object||Sad spirit||Spirits' carousel|
|24||Spirits' carousel||You must gather (combine) the collection to obtain the object||Spirits' carousel||Spirits' carousel|
|25||Carnival of spirits||Investigate "Haunted Attraction" in Silhouette mode to find an object||Witch||Carnival costumes|
|26||Skeleton costume||Investigate "Haunted Attraction" to find an object||Skeleton||Carnival costumes|
|27||Ghost costume||Investigate "Haunted Attraction" to find an object||Ghost||Carnival costumes|
|28||Headless horseman||Investigate "Haunted Attraction" in Pairs mode to find an object||Headless horseman||Carnival costumes|
|29||Wicked queen||Investigate "Haunted Attraction" to find an object||Wicked queen||Carnival costumes|
|30||Let the evil spirits proceed||You must gather (combine) the collection to obtain the object||Carnival of evil spirits||Carnival costumes|
Hints/Tips for Winning the Halloween Talisman and Witch's Talisman Artefact Edit
- Use the strongest Luck Talismans/artefacts you have available whenever you are playing. This will increase the number items you win for each play, which will increase you chances of winning the quest item. Diamond Horseshoe talismans (+90% chance of winning items for 120 minutes) and the Symbol of Success artefact (+50% chance of winning items for 24 hours) are the most powerful luck talismans available in the game, so when playing other pictures choose pictures which award items needed for collections that reward these talismans. You will need to play other pictures during the challenge anyway to collect Pumpkin lanterns to play Haunted Attraction, so by making sure that Tavern (rewards items for collections that reward Diamond horseshoes) and Venice; Buddha's Square; Throne Room; Mayan Temple; Ghost Town; Joy Cafe; Amusement Park; Bungalow; Misty Shed (rewards items for collections needed to combine Symbol of Success) are in your rotation while you increase your chances of getting more of these powerful luck talismans to use for the quests. Note that using powerful luck talismans will not guarantee that you win the quest item on your first attempt, as all they do is give a percentage increase to the coded 'chance' of winning the item in the game. If an item normally has only a 10% chance of being won per play of the correct quest requirements, then using luck talismans that give you a 100% increase will not give you a 100% chance of winning the item. It will just increase the 10% by 100%, giving you a 20% chance of winning the item. Hard to get items will still be hard to get.
- Use your Magic Crystal Talismans during the challenge. The Magic Crystal Talisman works as a luck talisman (it increases your odds of finding objects by 12% when activated), and the Social Events Update has fixed the problem where no other luck talisman could be activated while using it, so now you can use them again together again. This means you can add an additional 12% increase in odds of finding objects to other Luck Talismans that you use during the challenge. You can only use one other Luck Talisman once the Magic Crystal Talisman is activated (as you cannot use more than one Luck Talisman at a time), but you can use one of any other Luck Talisman or the Symbol of Success Artefact at the same time as Magic Crystal Talisman again. The Magic Crystal Talisman lasts for 10 days.
- The Challenge quests usually ask for you to play Haunted Attraction, so it is best to continue to work on Haunted Attraction as normal when playing and not to worry too much about the quests themselves, they will be completed as you go. That is, it is better to concentrate your resources just working on the Avatar challenge - getting Haunted Attraction to Academician level. You will complete the quests naturally as you increase the picture to Academician level. The hints/tips for that challenge will therefore also aide in completing this challenge.
- Read the quest instructions carefully. Most quests just ask you to play Haunted Attraction, but some will specify a mode. The item will only be available to win when the picture is in the correct mode. Most modes cannot be 'forced', which means you cannot make them appear in rotation. However, 'Text' mode can be triggered by banishing (not playing) an anomaly in the picture. If the quest asks for Text mode in Haunted Attraction, then play other pictures until an anomaly appears in Haunted Attraction. You can then banish the anomaly, making the next mode Text mode. (Make sure the picture is not in Night mode while waiting for an anomaly, play it to change the mode if it is in night mode).
- The items needed to complete the quests cannot be gifted between friends. However they may drop as random items when you are visiting your friends and charging their desktops; from the Collectors Desktop Award when collecting its rewards; and from opening Pandora's Chests. Whether this happens or not will be completely up to chance, but in order to increase your odds it is a good idea to visit your friends every day when doing the challenge.
- Warning: If you combine the collection you are gathering items from before the 'Combine' Quest (the 6th Quest in each sequence), the game may glitch and not recognise that the collection is combined. If this happens you may be stuck unable to combine the collection again in order to complete the combine Quest and move on in the Quests, effectively ending this challenge for you barring finding the collection items a second time from random drops.
After the Challenge is complete Edit
Once you complete all three Halloween 2016 "Celebration of the Spirits" Timed Challenges, or after the challenge timer expires, whichever happens first, Pumpkin lanterns are be restricted so that they will only be won in Japanese House and Bungalow (instead of in all the Pictures like during the Timed Challenges).
This restriction of the challenge quest special items after completion has been a feature of the last few timed update challenges (e.g. Christmas 2014, Halloween2014, Travel Time Update, Mountain Vacation Update) and is designed to allow players to collect enough to complete the challenge within the short time frame but not amass a large quantity after the challenge is over in the months leading up to the next update. The game does not want players to have an excess of these items as they would give an big advantage in the game after the update.
Typically, Pumpkin lanterns are used as the Special item for Halloween updates (like Christmas balls are used for Christmas updates), so they do not stay in the game once the next update is released.
When the next update is released, then usually the Pumpkin lanterns are removed from the game, and any remaining in the player's inventory may be converted to other special items (such as Fireflies, Ladybugs, carrots, cupid arrows and tokens).
This means that, keeping the number of Pumpkin lanterns a player can accumulate down will keep the number of other special items the player can win down, since these items are meant to be rare.
This is why players being able to accumulate a large amount of Pumpkin lanterns (by winning them in every picture) after the challenge is over but before the new update arrives would give them too large a boost in game resources compared to what would normally be accomplish-able in the same time period, which is why recent updates have introduced the restriction after the challenge quests are complete or the timer expires (whichever happens first).
It is worth noting that some of the regular quests that were introduced with the update require you to play Haunted Attraction (including some of the very last quests of the new crop you will work through). In order to maximise how many Pumpkin lanterns you can earn to aid in these quests, it is best to not complete all 3 of the timed challenges until the challenge timer is nearly finished. Keeping one of the 3 challenges incomplete for as long as possible will keep the time period that Pumpkin lanterns can be won in every picture in the game open as long as possible.
Normally, the best Challenge to leave incomplete is the Blocks challenge of finding 500 items by winning games of Blocks (in this case Feathers). However since this particular Challenge gives the Sphere of Miracles as a reward, most players will probably want to complete it as quickly as possible to get the coveted desktop award (or upgrade it if they already have one).
So, for this update, it is better to leave one of the other challenges incomplete instead. The best option is the 30 Special Quests, as this is the easier of the other 2 challenges to control. As you work through the 30 special quests, or other quests from the update you may reach Academician level in Haunted Attraction, so sometimes it is difficult to avoid finishing the Avatar challenge.
The 30 Special Quests consist of 5 'collection sequences' of 6 quests each, where you first complete 5 quests, each asking you to find an item from one particular collection and the 6th quest then asks you to combine the Collection. This means that the last special Quest needed to finish this challenge is to combine a collection.
To avoid completing all the Timed Challenges, and having Pumpkin lanterns restricted, just don't combine this collection (you will need to be careful when combining collections normally with sorting enabled, to be sure you don't accidentally combine it).
By leaving this last quest, you will have already gathered all the items needed and will not need to play Haunted Attraction again. Combining the collection can be done in seconds, so you will not accidentally leave it too late to finish the challenge. Just make sure that you have the right amount of the correct combining elements available when the time comes, or you could be stuck trying to play Witch's Hut over and over to gather combining elements in time.
By leaving this Challenge to the last possible moment, you can complete the other two challenges and still continue to collect Pumpkin lanterns in every picture to build up a stockpile of Pumpkin lanterns to use after they become restricted (while still being confident that you can complete all 3 challenges before the timer expires).