The Forgotten Story Update was released on the 14th of March 2017 for Android players, the 15th of March for iOS players, the 19th of March for Kindle players, the 21st of March for Windows players, and 7th April 2017 for Mac players.
When the update was released and downloaded, the Forgotten Story Timed Challenge event triggered automatically.
The Forgotten Story timed challenges begin when a player reaches game level 7 in the game (or automatically after downloading the update if the player is already above level 7).
The Forgotten Story Event Edit
The Forgotten Story timed event contains 3 challenges. Players have a set number of days to complete the following tasks:
- Collect 500 Medals by winning games of Gem Match to win the new Discoverer's Balloon Desktop Award, which gives some points of energy in the form of an award every 12 hours.
- Complete 30 special quests to win the once-off Order Legend's Talisman which increases your chances of finding objects in locations and puzzles by 50% for 24 hours. Upon completing these quests you will also be able to combine the Aviator's Amulet Artefact which increases time for investigating locations and puzzles by 60 seconds for 24 hours.
- Achieve 'Academician' level in Aviation Museum and win 2 unique avatars, one male and one female.
For the duration of the Forgotten Story challenge, Compass special items are required in addition to energy points to play Aviation Museum. Compasses are given as rewards for every successful investigation for every picture, and as rewards for banishing anomalies, but not for playing puzzles. Compasses cannot be gifted between friends, however they are given as rewards for combining some of the new Forgotten Story collections, and they can be given as rewards by the Sphere of Miracles and Pyramid of Wonder.
The Gem Match Challenge - collecting Medals Edit
Players can win the new Discoverer's Balloon Desktop Award, which will give some points of energy in the form of an award every 12 hours. This is the 10th Desktop Award added to the game, and the 4th that can only be won during Timed Challenge Events. Like the Sphere of Miracles, Pyramid of Wonder and Magic Cube, the Discoverer's Balloon is a new event Award that will be a permanent fixture on player's boards once won, and may be upgradeable in future timed challenge events.
Players can win the Discoverer's Balloon by collecting 500 Medals. Medals can only be won by successfully completing the Gem Match puzzle. For each successful win of Gem Match, you can potentially win between 2-5 Medals as one of the rewards for completing the puzzle.When you open the Research Window for Gem Match by tapping on the Gem Match puzzle icon on your Home Desktop you will see Medals listed as the first item in the 'Can be found' list for the puzzle. Medals are available to win for every play of the puzzle at every puzzle level.
You must keep playing (and winning) Gem Match until you have collected 500 Medals in order to complete the challenge. Once you have collected all 500 Medals, the Discoverer's Balloon Desktop Award will automatically appear in the row of awards at the top of your Home Desktop.
Once the Discoverer's Balloon Desktop Award is won and appears on a Home Desktop, it will be sparkling to indicate that it can immediately be discharged to collect your first energy points reward. Once the reward is collected, the new Desktop Award's timer starts counting for the first time. Once 12 hours have passed, the timer will stop counting and the award will start to sparkle to indicate that its rewards are ready for collection again. Tapping on the sparkling Discoverer's Balloon will release the reward - some points of energy in the form of an award.
The Discoverer's Balloon Desktop Award is located next to the Tooling Around Desktop Award on the top right hand side of the Home Desktop. You can tap on the Discoverer's Balloon at any time to bring up its information window.
The Discoverer's Balloon gives out 50 energy points every 12 hours. If this Desktop Award is charged by a visiting Friend, then its rewards will be 50 energy points plus an additional 25 the next time it is ready to collect.
As soon as the reward is collected, a new 12 hour timer starts to count down before the next reward is ready for collection, at which point the next timer will start. Note that the timer doesn't restart until the reward is collected, so leaving the Discoverer's Balloon for more than 12 hours before collecting the reward does not change the rewards and delays collecting the next reward.
Note: Just because an item is on a picture/puzzles 'Can be Found' list, it is not guaranteed you will win that item every time you play that picture/puzzle. There is an element of chance in the game that determines what items you will win when you successfully complete a picture/puzzle. All items are weighted based on their value in the game. Higher value items, like the Medals needed to win the Discoverer's Balloon Desktop Award are weighted in such a way that they are less likely to be won than low value items such as some low level collection items and most combining elements.
Since the mechanism that rewards Medals is set up so that they are always included as one of the rewards for winning games of Gem Match, it is the number that you win per play that is weighted (with low numbers more likely than high numbers). This means you will not win a high number of Medals every single time you win a Gem Match game, often you will only win 2.
However, all of the Timed Challenges are designed to be completable within the given time limit, so it is possible to collect 500 Medals well within the time given. The task is designed to be challenging, but it is not impossible!
Hints/Tips for collecting Medals Edit
Although it will take many plays of Gem Match to win 500 Medals, there are things you can do to make the challenge easier:
- Read the Gem Match article and PDF on this wiki for tips on playing Gem Match.
- Use tools when playing Gem Match. You can use Explorer's Eyes and Time Machines when playing Gem Match. Using an Explorer's Eye will remove a single yellow border from the game board at random. This can be particularly useful for tricky pieces. Time Machines add 45 seconds to the puzzle timer, which can be a great help for the more difficult board configurations. Use the List of Collections, List of Collection Items and List of Collection Item Locations pages here to find out which collections give out these tools when combined, and where you can find the items needed to combine those collections.
- Don't just play Gem Match over and over again; try to play a variety of pictures and puzzles as much as possible. The more you play a single picture/puzzle repeatedly, the worse the rewards for each win gets. In order to keep your chances of getting many Medals per play high, try mixing other pictures/puzzles into your playing rotation. Perhaps rotate trying to get the Discoverer's Balloon with the other challenges in the Forgotten Story event (playing Aviation Museum and completing the 30 challenge quests). This will also help avoid feelings of frustration with the game and challenge.
- Don't rely on Luck Talismans/Artefacts. Luck Talismans (e.g. Horseshoes) and Artefacts (e.g. Symbol of Success) do not increase your odds of winning a particular item, such as Medals, i.e. they do not change the weighting of items. However, they do increase the number of items you will win for each successful play of a picture/puzzle. Because you can win more items for each play, you essentially get more rolls of the dice each time you win. Since Medals are rewarded using the same mechanism as Christmas Balls/Pumpkin Lanterns, special items etc. during holiday themed timed challenges (i.e. a number of Medals are awarded for each play, it is the amount you win that is weighted not whether or not you win them) instead of using the same mechanism as collection items/combining elements (i.e. you may or may not win the item each play, it is whether the item will be won or not that is weighted), Luck Talismans and Artefacts will not affect the number of Medals won per win of Gem Match. Since the game is coded to give out Medals for each play, increasing the number of different items won per play by using Luck Talismans will not change anything. The number of Medals given is also based on chance, with higher numbers weighted to appear less often than lower numbers, but Luck Talismans/Artefacts cannot help with this since they do not affect weighting.
- Use the Time Talisman artefact. If you are struggling to win Gem Match in the time given (particularly at lower puzzle levels, where less time is allotted to each play) then try to use a Time Talisman artefact. Once activated, this artefact adds 1 minute to every picture/puzzle for 24 hours.
The Unique Avatars - Getting Aviation Museum to Academician Level EditThe avatars won for reaching Academician level in Aviation Museum. Players can win the unique Avatar by playing the new picture Aviation Museum until they increase its scene progress level up to Academician Level during the Forgotten Story's time sensitive challenge.
For the duration of the Forgotten Story update, Compass special items are needed for each play of the Aviation Museum picture.
While the Timed Challenges are active (before you complete all three, or the timer expires; whichever happens first), Compasses are given as rewards for every successful investigation for every picture in the game (except Aviation Museum itself). At least 1 Compass is given for every game you win, but winning up to 3 at a time is also possible.
Compasses are also given as rewards from banishing anomalies, but not for playing puzzles. Compasses cannot be gifted between friends, however they are given as rewards for combining some of the new Forgotten Story collections. Players with the Pyramid of Wonder or Sphere of Miracles also have a 1 in 6 chance of receiving Compasses from these Desktop Awards when collecting their rewards every 12 hours. The number of Compasses needed for each play of Aviation Museum increases as you increase the Picture Levels of Aviation Museum (+5 Compasses per Level increase), starting at 5 Compasses per play when the picture is opened at Novice Level and increasing to 40 Compasses per play when the picture is at Professor Level.
|Level||% progress per play of picture at level||No. plays needed for 100% (i.e. to reach next level)||Compasses per play at level||Total Compasses to reach next level|
|Trainee||12-13% (+25% every 2 plays)||8||10||80|
|Detective||8-9% (+25% every 3 plays)||12||15||180|
|Total to Academician level||3,285|
As soon as you return to your Home Desktop after playing Aviation Museum for the 150th time, a notification screen will appear to say that the avatar challenge is complete and you have won both of the unique Avatars.
Both Avatars will automatically go into the Avatar section, but will not automatically replace your current Avatar. To use either of the new Avatars, you must tap on your current Avatar to bring up the Avatars window and scroll to the end of the list to find the new Avatar. Tap on the Avatar to select it.
Hints/Tips for winning the Unique Avatars Edit
- Try to play a variety of pictures as much as possible when playing, instead of just playing Aviation Museum over and over again. The more you play a single picture/puzzle repeatedly, the worse the rewards for each win gets. Additionally, the bigger variety of pictures you play, the bigger variety of collection items you can potentially win. This will greatly increase the number of regular collections you will be able to combine, which will potentially give you more tools, energy items, Talismans and Artefacts that will all help with completing the quests.
- If you are low on energy, but close to leveling up (at which point your energy will restore), play Buddha's Square until you level up. At higher picture levels Buddha's Square potentially rewards a Cappuccino for each successful picture investigation. Cappuccinos restore 30 energy points when used, and Buddha's Square only requires 31 energy points at most to play (at Professor level). This means you can play for free or next to free if you have a good success rate of winning Cappuccinos. Using Luck Talismans and Artefacts, like Horseshoes while playing Buddha's Square will increase your odds for winning Cappuccinos. This also means that Buddha's Square is a great picture to play when collecting Compasses, as by winning Cappuccinos and restoring the energy you are using to play, you are basically collecting Compasses for free in terms of energy costs.
- If you are low on energy avoid playing the newest pictures in the game too often (Tavern, Treasure Island, Theater, Forest House, Excavations, Winter Street, Flower Shop, Observation Deck, Banquet Hall, Spooky Yard, Wonder Shop, Mountain Resort, Rock Stage, Spring Festival, Tropical Evening, Curiosities Room, Luxury Express, Haunted Attraction, Wigwam and Saloon) as these pictures do not reward combining elements and usually have a high energy demand (except for Forest House and Winter Street). Although some of the collections rewarded by some of these pictures (especially Tavern) are tempting, the lack of combining elements means you will struggle to combine the collections they reward, and the majority of collection items they reward are for collections with lesser rewards than the original pictures in the game.
- Use the Amulet of Santa or the Amulet of Rarities Artefact to decrease the number of Compasses needed to play Aviation Museum. Both the Amulet of Santa and the Amulet of Rarities Artefacts reduce the number of special items needed to play paid scenes like Aviation Museum by 20% for 24 hours once activated. Using either Artefact when playing Aviation Museum could potentially reduce the total number of Compasses you need to find to reach Academician level from 3,285 to 2,628.
- Use the Valentine's Amulet Artefact to decrease the amount of energy needed to play every picture/puzzle when you are ready to play Aviation Museum a number of times. The Valentine's Amulet reduces the amount of energy needed to play by 10% for 12 hours, so will enable you to play Aviation Museum (and other pictures) more times with your available energy.
- Use Luck Talismans and Artefacts such as Horseshoes in conjunction with the Valentine's Amulet, and make sure to play Tree of Dates in rotation when you are playing the pictures. This will increase your chances of finding all the collection items needed to combine another Valentine's Amulet as you play.
- As you play through the 30 challenge quests to win the Order Legend's Talisman, you will be able to combine 5 new collections added as part of the update. These quests will reward Compasses once combined, and the Order Legend's Talisman itself helps increase your chances of finding objects in locations and puzzles by 50% for 24 hours while playing.
The Challenge Quests, the Order Legend's Talisman and the Aviator's Amulet ArtefactEdit
The Order Legend's Talisman can be won once a player completes all 30 of the special Forgotten Story challenge quests introduced as part of the update. The quests must be completed within the time limit of the Timed Challenge in order to unlock the Talisman.
Once the quests are completed, the Order Legend's Talisman automatically goes into your Inventory.
A notification screen will appear to say that the 30 challenge quests are complete and you have won the Order Legend's Talisman, but you must go to the Talisman section of the Inventory itself to see and use the new Talisman.
Once activated, the Order Legend's Talisman will increase your chances of finding objects in locations and puzzles by 50% for 24 hours.
In addition to winning the Order Legend's Talisman, players will also be able to combine the Aviator's Amulet Artefact once they have completed the 30 challenge quests since the collections combined as part of the 30 quests create the 5 items needed to combine this new Artefact.
Once the quests are completed, players must manually combine the Aviator's Amulet Artefact. To do this, open the Collections Window and select the Artefacts tab. Locate the Aviator's Amulet Artefact and press the green combine button.
You will need 20 each of the following combining elements to combine the Artefact - Second Hand, Minute Hand, Hour Hand and Clock Face. All Artefact combining elements can be won by combining collections in the game. Every time you combine a collection you will be awarded an Artefact combining element at random. You can also be given these combining elements as free gifts by your friends. Like collection combining elements, Artefact combining elements are free gifts and do not come out of your inventory when you send them as gifts to your friends.
Once combined, the Aviator's Amulet Artefact automatically goes into the Talisman tab of your Inventory, where it can be activated.
Once activated, the Aviator's Amulet Artefact will increase time for investigating locations and puzzles by 60 seconds for 24 hours.
Winning the Order Legend's Talisman Edit
A special decorative border in the quest list marks the 30 quests needed to win the Order Legend's Talisman. Other quests added by the update with regular gold borders, do not count towards the 30 when completed.
Note: The very first quest that displays the special decorative border is the quest to find the picture pieces needed to unlock and open the Aviation Museum picture. However, this quest does not count towards the 30 quests needed to win the Order Legend's Talisman. This means there are actually 31 quests that display the decorative border, but only the last 30 of them count towards the challenge. Most importantly, you will need to complete this first quest in order to complete the challenge as the 30 quests that make up the event will not start until this quest is completed (there is only ever one quest with a special decorative border active at any one time) and the other quests require you to play the Aviation Museum picture (which this quest opens).
There are 30 special quests that must be completed in order to win the Order Legend's Talisman. They consist of 5 collection sequences of 6 quests each. The first 5 quests are to find each of the 5 items while the 6th quest is to combine the collection.
The 5 collections players gather as they complete the 30 quests are:
- Model aircrafts (combines to create "Seaplane" and rewards 10 Compasses when combined)
- Mysterious Mr. Connors (combines to create "Ring binder" and rewards 15 Compasses when combined)
- Artifacts from Amazonia (combines to create "Fountain of eternal life" and rewards 20 Compasses when combined)
- Flight data recorder (combines to create "Flight data recorder" and rewards 25 Compasses when combined)
- Author's things (combines to create "Escritoire" and rewards 30 Compasses when combined)
All the items that make up these collections cannot be gifted between friends (they do not have green plus signs to add them to your wish list and they will not appear in the 'Send a collection item' tab when sending gifts to your friends).
They are all also 'Quest only' items, which means that they cannot be won normally by playing pictures/puzzles. They are only available to win in pictures while the quest for the particular item is activated and will stop being available to win in that picture once the quest is completed. They may also drop as random items when you are visiting your friends and charging their desktops; from the Collectors Desktop award when collecting its rewards; and from opening Pandora's Chests, however whether or not you get any of these items in those ways is completely up to chance.
This means that the only way to complete these quests is to follow the quest instructions as you get the quests. This makes these 30 challenge quests slightly more difficult than the challenge quests in some other Timed Challenges, all of which could be gifted between friends or won in regular play of certain pictures.
The Challenge Quests Edit
The 30 quests that are needed to win the Order Legend's Talisman are:
|Quest Number||Quest Name||Quest Instructions||Item Won||Collection Sequence|
|0||Aviation Museum||Investigate the pictures in Text mode||Fragments of "Aviation Museum" picture||N/A|
|1||First Flight||Investigate "Aviation Museum" to find an object||Hang glider||Model aircrafts|
|2||Alfred's Dream||Investigate "Aviation Museum" to find an object||Monoplane||Model aircrafts|
|3||Connors's Birdie||Investigate "Aviation Museum" to find an object||Biplane||Model aircrafts|
|4||Historical Inconsistency||Investigate "Aviation Museum" in Night mode to find an object||Electric aircraft||Model aircrafts|
|5||Autogyro||Investigate "Aviation Museum" to find an object||Autogyro||Model aircrafts|
|6||Missing Pilot||You must gather (combine) the collection to obtain the object||Seaplane||Model aircrafts|
|7||Pilot's Memories||Investigate "Aviation Museum" to find an object||Draft notes||Mysterious Mr. Connors|
|8||Valley of Fountains||Investigate "Aviation Museum" in Silhouette mode to find an object||Flight map||Mysterious Mr. Connors|
|9||Group Photo||Investigate "Aviation Museum" to find an object||Group photo||Mysterious Mr. Connors|
|10||Connors's Family||Investigate "Aviation Museum" to find an object||Family tree||Mysterious Mr. Connors|
|11||Museum Booklets||Investigate "Aviation Museum" in Text mode to find an object||Exhibition booklets||Mysterious Mr. Connors|
|12||Connors's Biography||You must gather (combine) the collection to obtain the object||Ring binder||Mysterious Mr. Connors|
|13||Archaeologist's Catalog||Investigate "Aviation Museum" to find an object||Archaeological catalog||Artifacts from Amazonia|
|14||Amazonian Statuette||Investigate "Aviation Museum" to find an object||Unusual statuette||Artifacts from Amazonia|
|15||Sealed Phial||Investigate "Aviation Museum" in Morphs mode to find an object||Phial of water||Artifacts from Amazonia|
|16||Ruins in the Jungle||Investigate "Aviation Museum" to find an object||Amazonian ruins||Artifacts from Amazonia|
|17||The Temple||Investigate "Aviation Museum" to find an object||Temple scale model||Artifacts from Amazonia|
|18||Fountain of Immortality||You must gather (combine) the collection to obtain the object||Fountain of eternal life||Artifacts from Amazonia|
|19||Pilot's Book||Investigate "Aviation Museum" to find an object||Pilot logbook||Flight data recorder|
|20||Underwater Locator Beacon||Investigate "Aviation Museum" in Pairs mode to find an object||Underwater locator beacon||Flight data recorder|
|21||Instrument Panel||Investigate "Aviation Museum" to find an object||Instrument panel||Flight data recorder|
|22||Voice Recorder||Investigate "Aviation Museum" to find an object||Cockpit voice recorder||Flight data recorder|
|23||Magnetic Tape Reel||Investigate "Aviation Museum" to find an object||Magnetic tape reel||Flight data recorder|
|24||Assembly Time||You must gather (combine) the collection to obtain the object||Flight data recorder||Flight data recorder|
|25||Let's Write||Investigate "Aviation Museum" in Silhouette mode to find an object||Stationery set||Author's things|
|26||Paperweight||Investigate "Aviation Museum" to find an object||Paperweight||Author's things|
|27||Teamwork||Investigate "Aviation Museum" to find an object||Creative essay||Author's things|
|28||Bittersweet Victory||Investigate "Aviation Museum" in Text mode to find an object||Literary prize||Author's things|
|29||Anonymous Letter||Investigate "Aviation Museum" to find an object||Anonymous review||Author's things|
|30||Message from Connors?||You must gather (combine) the collection to obtain the object||Escritoire||Author's things|
Hints/Tips for winning the Order Legend's Talisman and Aviator's Amulet Artefact Edit
- Use the strongest Luck Talismans/Artefacts you have available whenever you are playing. This will increase the number of items you win for each play, which will increase your chances of winning the quest item. Diamond horseshoe Talismans (+90% chance of winning items for 120 minutes) and the Symbol of Success Artefact (+50% chance of winning items for 24 hours) are the most powerful Luck Talismans available in the game, so when playing other pictures choose pictures which award items needed for collections that reward these Talismans. You will need to play other pictures during the challenge anyway to collect Compasses to play Aviation Museum, so by making sure that Tavern (rewards items for collections that reward Diamond horseshoes), Venice, Buddha's Square, Throne Room, Mayan Temple, Ghost Town, Joy Café, Amusement Park, Bungalow and Misty Shed (rewards items for collections needed to combine Symbol of Success) are in your rotation while you increase your chances of getting more of these powerful Luck Talismans to use for the quests. Note that using powerful Luck Talismans will not guarantee that you win the quest item on your first attempt, as all they do is give a percentage increase to the coded 'chance' of winning the item in the game. If an item normally has only a 10% chance of being won per play of the correct quest requirements, then using Luck Talismans that give you a 100% increase will not give you a 100% chance of winning the item. It will just increase the 10% by 100%, giving you a 20% chance of winning the item. Hard to get items will still be hard to get.
- Use your Magic Crystal Talismans during the challenge. The Magic Crystal Talisman works as a Luck Talisman (it increases your odds of finding objects by 12% when activated), and the Social Events Update has fixed the problem where no other Luck Talisman could be activated while using it, so now you can use them together again. This means you can add an additional 12% increase in odds of finding objects to other Luck Talismans that you use during the challenge. You can only use one other Luck Talisman once the Magic Crystal Talisman is activated (as you cannot use more than one Luck Talisman at a time), but you can use one of any other Luck Talisman or the Symbol of Success Artefact at the same time as the Magic Crystal Talisman again. The Magic Crystal Talisman lasts for 10 days.
- The Challenge quests usually ask for you to play Aviation Museum, so it is best to continue to work on Aviation Museum as normal when playing and not to worry too much about the quests themselves, they will be completed as you go. That is, it is better to concentrate your resources just working on the Avatar challenge - getting Aviation Museum to Academician level. You will complete the quests naturally as you increase the picture to Academician level. The hints/tips for that challenge will therefore also aid in completing this challenge.
- Read the quest instructions carefully. Most quests just ask you to play Aviation Museum, but some will specify a mode. The item will only be available to win when the picture is in the correct mode. Most modes cannot be 'forced', which means you cannot make them appear in rotation. However, 'Text' mode can be triggered by banishing (not playing) an anomaly in the picture. If the quest asks for Text mode in Aviation Museum, then play other pictures until an anomaly appears in Aviation Museum. You can then banish the anomaly, making the next mode Text mode. (Make sure the picture is not in Night mode while waiting for an anomaly, play it to change the mode if it is in Night mode).
- The items needed to complete the quests cannot be gifted between friends. However they may drop as random items when you are visiting your friends and charging their desktops; from the Collectors Desktop Award when collecting its rewards; and from opening Pandora's Chests. Whether this happens or not will be completely up to chance, but in order to increase your odds it is a good idea to visit your friends every day when doing the challenge.
- Warning: If you combine the collection items you are gathering before the 'Combine' quest (the 6th quest in each sequence), the game may glitch and not recognize that the collection is combined. If this happens you may be stuck unable to combine the collection again in order to complete the 'Combine' quest and move on in the quests, effectively ending this challenge for you barring finding the collection items a second time from random drops.
Changes made by the Forgotten Story Update Edit
- Special Item Conversion: Upon opening the Forgotten Story Update, any remaining Rare Flowers and Jade Crystals in the player’s inventory (special items from the Winter’s Tale and The Legend Returns updates) are converted into equal parts Ladybugs, Fireflies, Carrots, Cupid’s arrows, and Tokens. Any inventory of other special items from previous events is also converted. Orangery and Tea Corner are now free to investigate, with energy points.
- Many collection items which were previously ungiftable became giftable. They can also be added to the Wish List. The exclusions are some special quest items and collection items for the new timed challenge quests.
- The Gifts tab of the Friends window introduced a new button “Accept all and say thanks.” This enables the player to simultaneously accept all gifts and send “Gratitude from a friend”.
- The window that opens before playing, or researching, a picture or puzzle now displays the energy discounts as well as the full undiscounted energy demand. The discount is the sum of any discounts from a Magician’s charge and/or hiring Magician(s) and/or using a talisman or amulet which reduces energy consumption. Previously, only the calculated, discounted energy demand was displayed. The energy demands are now treated consistently with the Experience and Money (Coins) displays, which show the base awards plus any bonuses from Sage and Merchant charges and hires, and talismans and amulets.